05 Aug 2011 Entries are open for Msunduzi Road Challenge
Entries opened on Monday 1 August 2011 for the inaugural Msunduzi Road Challenge, the much anticipated inclusion into the UCI World Cycling Tour (UWCT) taking place in October.
The unique concept of this mass-participation road event serves a dual purpose by offering enthusiasts an all-new road cycling challenge in the popular cycling hub of Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal, whilst at the same time offering seasoned competitors the opportunity to qualify for the one-off UWCT Final in 2012, previously known as the UCI Masters Road World Championships.
Pietermaritzburg will be hosting the South African leg of this prestigious UCI-linked series, and Alexander Park has been established as the start/finish venue. Provisional route maps are uploaded and can be viewed by visiting http://www.msunduziroadchallenge.co.za/.
Participants can choose to enter the 180km, 111km or 90km distances, with the Time Trial distance set at 27km. The online entry closing date is set at 30 September 2011, and entries will be done through CyclingSA’s website by visiting this link.
Early bird entries will score as the first 2500 entries are guaranteed a sample bag. Late entries will be accepted until Friday 21 October, but will incur an additional charge of R50.
- Date: Saturday 29th October to Sunday 30th October 2011
- Venue: Alexander Park, Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal
- Distances and Age Categories: Road Race (Qualifiers for the UWCT Final must enter as per their age category below – recreational riders can enter any distance they wish)
Men – 16-29 / 30-34 / 35-39 / 40-44 / 45-49 = 180km
Men – 50-54 / 55-59 / 60-64 = 111km
Men – 65+ = 90km
Women – 30-34 / 35-39 / 40-44 / 45-49 = 111km
Women – 50-54 / 55-59 / 60-64 / 65+ = 90km
- Distance: Time Trial
All – 27km
- Entry Fees:
Road Race – R200 ($ 30.00 or € 25.00)
Time Trial – R120 ($ 20.00 or € 15.00)
- Start Times: To Be Confirmed
- Merchandise: Participants can purchase an exclusive commemorative event shirt together with their entry submission via the CyclingSA website – the shirt is to be collected at registration. The cost is R165.
Further detailed information about the Msunduzi Road Challenge can be found on the event website by visiting the site. For general event queries, contact Alec Lenferna at email@example.com, and for all entry-related queries, contact Tarryn Duncan at firstname.lastname@example.org.