11 Nov 2013 Highlights on the events calendar
Posted at 8:26 AM in News
Tuesday this week is a busy one with a Killarney training session today. Looking forward to the weekend, Saturday’s Coronation Double Century is one of PPA’s oldest events and remains a firm favourite. For the fairer sex: Entries have opened for the PPA Heels on Wheels @ Simonsvlei all-female road funride on 8 December – pre-entries only, enter now! And lastly, read more about the wonderful new fun late-afternoon twilight ride on Friday 13 December.
- Calling all female cyclists: Whether you are an experienced cyclist or a beginner; fit or unfit; have done one funride or hundreds… Come and join us on Sunday 8 December for the biggest all-female event on the calendar, the PPA Heels on Wheels @ Simonsvlei! This year we have a new venue and three routes: a tough 53 km which includes Helshoogte; an undulating 38 km past Elsenburg, and a relaxed 22 km. Male cyclists can enter the 22 km route, provided they are accompanied by a child u/10 at all times. Entries have opened and are limited to 700. Pre-entries only – don’t miss out!
- Saturday 23 November see the Coronation Double Century take place in and around Swellendam, Entries have closed – good luck to all the teams who will be tackling the 202km route.
- Cycle training at Killarney: Tuesday 19 November, 18h00-19h00, with registration from 17h30. Cost: R15 for PPA members; R30 for non-members. New parking area next to the motor club clubhouse. To get there, when you exit the tunnel, do not turn left into the pits area but continue straight. The new sign-on will be under the “continental” covered braai area (indicated by the pink dot) and there is even a warm up track for the cyclists to use while waiting for the 18:00 start.
- COME AND JOIN US FOR A FUN EVENING PEDAL!
Come and join PPA on lucky Friday 13 December for a fabulous, fun late-afternoon ride aimed at the whole family! The PPA ‘Tread Lightly’ Twilight MTB Funride is our last own funride for the year and three non-technical routes are on offer: roughly 20 km, 10 km & 4 km (including a spin through the wine cellar). The event takes place at Backsberg Estate Cellars (Simondium, near Paarl) on scenic routes that are not normally open to the public. This will be a very informal ride – no seeding; you are encouraged to ride with your friends; there will be no timing/results; prizes will go to the best fancy-dress on the day; the long route water point may offer something more than water; excellent food stalls at the finish; tractor rides for the kiddies… Start time: 18h00. Entries will open this week.
- Next week on the funride calendar: Faircape MTB, Durbanville. Sat 30 November: 60 km @ 07h30; 30 km @ 08h00; 10 km @ 08h30 at Meerendal farm. Read more and click here to enter.
- Good luck to all participants riding Die Burger PPA Cycle Tour on Sun 1 December!