The Gryphon 99er CYCLE TOUR 2020
ROAD ROUTES/STARTS: 102km @ 06h00; 57 km @ 07h30
ORGANISER: El Shaddai Christian School
LUCKY DRAW/CUT-OFF: 12h30 cut off, Lucky draw 12h50
ONLINE ENTRIES CLOSE: 27 Jan 2020 for early entries; 7 Feb 2020 seeded online entries. Late entry at registration according to availability. See web for more info. www.99er.co.za
Enter this event
2020 is the 22nd time this popular race is taking place!
The Gryphon 99er Cycle Tour offers a long and short route and both are great training rides to get your legs ready for Suikerbossie. The 102km race is an Official Premier Seeding Event of the Cape Town Cycle Tour. The 99er, as it is affectionately known, is a highlight on the cycling calendar. In the words of a rider… “The 99er is always the best organized event of the year.” E-bikes can participate in the 102km event and will start the race in an e-bike group. Enter by 27 January 2020 @ 23h00 and take advantage of the discounted early entry fee! This year, there are several early entry prizes up for grabs, with draws taking place every 2 -3 weeks during the early entry period. The earlier you enter, the more chances you will have to win! Prizes include: 2 entries to Cape Town Cycle Tour 2020, 3 x R3600 IPIC Active gym packages for a family of four for three months, reimbursement of your entry fee, 2 tickets on the Table Mountain Cable Car, and a 99er merchandise hamper! For details about the competition and all information about the race visit www.99er.co.za.
As always there will be great infrastructure, medals and lucky draw prizes. Cyclists aged 12 years must be accompanied by a participating adult. Full event info on www.99er.co.za.
102km Route Description:
- Cyclists leave Durbanville Racecourse and follow a quiet route through Durbanville to exit via Wellington / Klipheuwel Road (R302).
- Shortly after Okavango intersection, cyclists turn right onto Lichtenburg Road (R312), pass Fisantekraal and cross the R312/R304 “fruit sellers” 4-way stop. The R312 climbs to the R44 where cyclists turn left towards Wellington. • Continue on the R44 past Windmeul Winery and Vryguns (Voor-Paardeberg) intersection. 1.6km Farther, turn left at the 2nd Voor-Paardeberg Road towards Perdeberg hill. At the T-junction, cyclists turn left onto Slent Road, pass Paardeberg Correctional Services and cross Vryguns (1st Voor-Paardeberg) Road.
- Cycle the newly tarred Slent Road, continue straight over the Malmesbury – Stellenbosch Road and pass the Klipheuwel silos.
- Turn right onto Philadelphia Road (R304), cycle the rolling hills past Adderley Road (M58) intersection (Cut-off point) and over the single lane bridge.
- 1.2km Farther, turn left onto Van Schoorsdrif (Old Malmesbury) road. Cycle the uphill, then downhill past the Ostrich ranch.
- Turn left onto the N7 (keep left, traffic for 2.6km) and left again onto Vissershok Road (M48). Cross Malanshoogte / Contermanskloof 4-way intersection and face the challenging Vissershok climb, culminating with the King of the Mountain.
- Continue past Meerendal and turn right into Odendaal Street for the last 400m climb to the new finish area before Pienaar Street, followed by a 2.5 km neutral zone back to the Race Course.
57km Route Description:
- Cyclists follow the 102km route up to the Lichtenburg Road (R312) turnoff, at which point the 57km route continues straight on Klipheuwel Road (R302).
- At the Philadelphia Road turn-off (Klipheuwel), cyclists turn left onto the R304 to join the 102km route from there to the finish.
Road Closures & Road Surface Conditions:
- Full road closure has been applied for the portion of Van Schoorsdrif (Old Malmesbury) Road (DR1111) from the R304 (Philidelphia Road) to the CTN Ostrich Ranch turn off. Marshals will provide cycling route around pothole areas where unable to repair.
- Road closure has been applied for the portion of Vissershok Road (M48) from the N7 to Meerendal Wine Estate turn off (lane uphill from the N7). Pot holes on Vissershok Road (M48) will be suitably repaired for cycling conditions.
Race Timing and cut-off locations:
- Mid race cut off time = 10h45
- Mid race cut off location = Adderley Road (M58) & Philadelphia Road (R304) T-junction
- Race cut off time = 12h30
DIRECTIONS TO VENUE (ROAD):
From the N1, take the Durban Rd/Willie van Schoor Rd off-ramp and pass Tygervalley Centre towards Durbanville. Turn left into Tindale road. At the T-junction, turn left into Racecourse road. Pass the Durbanville Nature Reserve on your right; then follow the parking signs to the Durbanville Race Course. GPS: S: 33°50.27; E 18°38.24. See PPA website for interactive directions.
Close at 23:00
Seeded Online entries close at 23:00 on 3 February 2020
|CSA Day Licenses
Late entries can be done at number collections or on race day. These entries are subject to availability and will not be seeded.
Enter this event