04 Jan 2012 03 Jan 2012
All the best for 2012: May it be a great year, and may your cycling wishes come true! Discounted ‘early bird’ entries for the Tour de PPA on 15 January close on Monday 9 January – be sure to get your entry in soonest, although you will still be able to enter after the 9th, as well as on the day of the funride. Click here to enter now.
JANUARY FUNRIDES ON THE PPA CALENDAR
The 2012 funride calendar kicks off this weekend in the southern suburbs. Check out the online entries tab on the home page for more info and to enter.
- Sunday 8 January: Olympic Cycles / Pres Les / Foord “Journey 4 Sight n Service” Cycle Tour
- Sunday 15 January: Tour De PPA (PCS/league)
- Sunday 22 January: Cycle Lab Cape Cobra (PCS/league)
- Sunday 29 January: Bouckaert Soenen Funride and MTB (PCS/league)
TUESDAY CYCLE TRAINING AT KILLARNEY
Join us on Tuesdays for cycling training sessions on the Killarney Motor Racing track (18h00-19h00). Registration from 17h30. The first session for 2012 will take place next week, on Tuesday 10 January 2012. NB: Please bring and show your PPA membership card in order to qualify for the discounted PPA fee. PPA members R15,00; Non-members R30.
What’s happening on the PPA calendar this weekend?
OLYMPIC CYCLES / PRES LES / FOORD “JOURNEY 4 SIGHT ‘n SERVICE” CYCLE TOUR
Sunday 8 January 2012
DISTANCES: 75km; 35km
START TIME: 75km (06h30); 35km (07h00)
ORGANISER: Lions Club Kirstenbosch
VENUE: Cape Academy, Firgrove Wayk Constantia
ENQUIRIES: Anthony Doman or Les Salo
PHONE: (021) 530-3230 or 083 445 3049, (021) 671-6821 or 082 789 7744
PRIZE GIVING / CUT-OFF: 10h30
ONLINE CLOSE: 5 January 2012
ONLINE ENTRIES: https://secure.entries.co.za/entries/findperson.aspx?eid=1345
The 75 km route heads out along Spaanschemat River Road before cyclists tackle the east side of Ou Kaapse Weg. Turn right along Kommetjie Road to Ocean View, and left into Slangkop Road. Turn left at Soetwater towards Misty Cliffs and pass the entrance to the Cape Point Nature Reserve to return via Simonstown, Fish Hoek, Kalk Bay, Boyes Drive, past Westlake Golf Course and Spaanschemat River Road.
The 35 km route heads out along Spaanschemat River Road before tackling the east side of Ou Kaapse Weg. Turn left along Kommetjie Roadto the Fish Hoek circle and left again towards Kalk Bay. Up Boyes Drive, past West Lake Golf Course and back to the finish!
DIRECTIONS TO VENUE
From Cape Town, take the M3. Take the Constantia / Hout Bay off-ramp. At the T-junction, turn left onto Constantia Main Road. Turn left into Spaanschemat River Road. Pass Pedlars Restaurant and turn left into Firgrove Way. Plenty of parking available at and opposite Cape Academy (Constantia School).
- This is the first event on the 2012 calendar and a great way to start the new season! Registration and late entries will take place at the venue on Saturday 7 January 2012 from 10h00 – 15h00 and on the morning of the ride. Easy Entry Tickets accepted. All children u/10 must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- Weather predicted for Sunday: Min Temp: 20°C; Max Temp: 27°C. Wind Speed: 29km/h SSE. No rain predicted.
- Remember to bring and wear your 2010-2011 blue road PPA funride number , or a temp day number will have to be bought. Please contact the PPA Office immediately if you cannot find your road funride number; you cannot use your MTB seeded number at road funrides (or vice versa).
- Cycling SA day licenses are required for Non-Cycling SA / Non-PPA members for all timed events.
- If you have a visiting friend who is not a PPA member and who would like to participate in the event, please remind them that only PPA members are timed and qualify for the seeded start groups – please contact the PPA Office for more information in this regard.
- Cyclists who have never before been a member of PPA, qualify for free membership if taken up at events – please speak to the PPA staff at the PPA MObile Office at events.
Yours in cycling
The PPA Team