02 Aug Die Burger entries are open
Entries for Die Burger Cycle Tour 2011, the Western Cape’s second biggest road cycling event, opened on Monday 1 August. Die Burger Cycle Tour takes place on Sunday 4 December 2011 and features two distances: the fast 92 km route for experienced cyclists, and the shorter 44 km which is ideal for novice cyclists.
The 92 km route is the final seeding opportunity for the 2012 Cape Argus Pick n Pay Cycle Tour.
How to enter
Visit www.dieburgercycletour.co.za and follow the easy instructions to enter online. Entries will close 18 November 2011, or as soon as the entry limits have been reached. Entries are limited to 4,500 (92km) and 1,500 (44km) on the respective routes.
The fast 92 km route:
- Cyclists will encounter their first climb of the day when they make their way up the scenic Old Helshoogte Pass, before descending through Pniel towards Paarl.
- When they reach the R101, riders will turn right and continue down Cecelia and Arboretum Roads heading towards the R301 to Wellington.
- After the left turn onto the R44, riders will scale the last of the rolling hills before heading back to the finish in Stellenbosch.
The shorter 44 km route:
- Cyclists will follow the 92 km route over the Old Helshoogte Pass, through Pniel and down the R45.
- The two routes will split at the R45 Simondium Road, where the 44km route will turn left towards the R44.
- The two routes will rejoin on the R44, about 15 km before the finish in Stellenbosch.