18 Aug Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust launches Training Wheels programme for 2014 Cycle Tour
The Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust has launched their innovative Training Wheels programme aimed at preparing novices to the sport of cycling to enter, train for, and participate in their first Cape Argus Pick n Pay Cycle Tour in 2014. The fun, goal-oriented programme is aimed entirely at helping novices and first-time Cycle Tour entrants under the expert eye of career athlete and multi-qualified sport coach, Peter Huber. Applications are limited to 100 spots and are focused at Cape Town-based riders.
Training Wheels spokesperson, Adri Bootsma, says: “The Cycle Tour Training Wheels programme is designed to accommodate even the most nervous novice cyclist. We all know the feeling of trepidation when doing something for the first time and we don’t want anyone to feel they cannot participate in this spectacular event that consumes Cape Town in March each year.
“The programme includes learning about basic cycling skills and safety, bicycle maintenance, as well as fitness, hydration and nutrition coaching. And of course, it incorporates plenty of fun rides of increasing distance as entrants build up their fitness and confidence.”
The Training Wheels Programme costs R1500 per entrant and includes the following:
• Regular sessions with a cycling coach and mentor, Peter Huber, a veteran of various sports and dedicated sports enthusiast
• Entry fee for the 2014 Cape Argus Pick n Pay Cycle Tour
• One year membership of the Pedal Power Association (PPA)
• A RaceTec chip • Medical screening done by Mediclinic
• Discounted membership offer from Cycle Tour’s fitness partner Virgin Active and special indoor cycling classes for members
• Cycling starter kit
Applicants for the Cycle Tour Training Wheels programme MUST be: • pure novices to the sport of cycling
• 12 years or older
• medically fit and able to participate
• committed to attend all the prescribed sessions
• have access to a bicycle and helmet
“We’re envisaging a very quick take up of applications for the Training Wheels programme. It’s a well-planned schedule to build confidence and fitness incrementally. Anyone who’s ever wanted to cycle but hasn’t, should apply to join the programme and experience the thrill and excitement of completing their very first Cycle Tour in 2014,” concludes Bootsma.
Visit www.cycletour.co.za and follow the links for more information and to apply.