20 Sep 2021 2021 Cape Town Cycle Tour PPA Safe Cycling Start Group Invitation
You are invited to apply for the 5 B PPA Safe Cycling STAY WIDER OF THE RIDER start group at 7H44 for the 2021 Cape Town Cycle Tour.
The PPA’s primary role is to protect and empower cyclists. Our STAY WIDER OF THE RIDER campaign hopes to create maximum awareness amongst drivers that will hopefully lead to safer roads for our cyclists. We want road users to practice tolerance, respect each other and ultimately be safer on the roads.
The PPA launched the very successful ‘Cyclists Stay Alive at 1.5’ campaign back in 2011 which resulted in a 1 meter passing law which was promulgated in 2013 in the Western Cape. The STAY WIDER OF THE RIDER campaign urges motorists to pass cyclists at a safe distance of at least 1 meter or more.
Statistics show that almost all cycling fatalities on our roads are caused by cyclists being hit by a motor vehicle from behind or when a vehicle underestimates the speed of a cyclist and turns in front of the cyclist. Cyclists have almost no protection when they are involved in an accident, so by giving them adequate space on the roads, motorists can avoid accidents that can cost precious lives.
Pledge your support for our campaign and join this year’s STAY WIDER OF THE RIDER start group. We have ONLY been allocated 450 spots for this year’s start group, due to restricted entry numbers.
1. It is a requirement to ride in a STAY WIDER OF THE RIDER cycling jersey. The old Staying Alive at 1.5 jerseys will not be accepted. Members can wear any version of the Stay Wider of the Rider jersey – the old Staying Alive at 1.5 versions won’t be accepted.* No cyclist will be allowed into the group by marshals without a Safe Cycling jersey and by entering you agree to wear a safe cycling jersey. The jerseys are available online www.pedalpower.org.za, and will be available during registration. The cost to PPA members is R400 for short sleeves, R490 for long sleeves and R450 for gilets.
2. Must have already successfully entered the 2021 Cape Town Cycle Tour.
3. If accepted, your original seeding will automatically be changed to the Safe Cycling Start Group start time. Please note that we can unfortunately not guarantee that you will be accepted into this start group.
4. The group is exclusive to PPA members and members from all provinces will be considered.
5. * T&C’s – Covid restrictions will apply.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY. APPLICATIONS CLOSE ON WEDNESDAY, 22 SEPTEMBER AT 12H00– NO LATE APPLICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED
Applications will be selected at random.
If your application to be reseeded into the PPA Stay Wider of the Rider start group is NOT successful, you will remain seeded in your original Cycle Tour start group. All applicants will be notified of the outcome be it successful, or not, on 24 September 2021.
** Photo used is from the 2020 Cape Town Cycle Tour. Pre-Covid19.